The "chic heroine" of the nineties has been replaced by a fad for a healthy and sporty lifestyle. If a couple of decades ago, the model's thinness was enough to be considered a beauty, then the modern standard is a fit and athletic figure. However, regular gym workouts take time, which not all women have. Yes, and strict diets that promise a loss of 10 kilograms per month are by no means a universal remedy. But how to lose weight without diet and exercise? Don't believe anyone who says it's impossible. Perhaps, if you wisely approach weight normalization.
How to calculate your BMI and why you need it
If you are looking for a way to lose weight without dieting, the first thing to do is to calculate your BMI - body mass index. This is necessary in order to objectively assess the weight, figure and correctly set the goal. Without a BMI, the desire to lose weight will be vague, vague, because you will not know your optimal weight.
Body mass index is a conditional value created by doctors to evaluate human weight. It is the ratio of body weight to height. Calculate it using the formula: weight in kilograms divided by the height in square meters. For example, your height is 170cm. This is 1. 7m, so we multiply 1. 7 by 1. 7 and we get 2. 89 square meters. Let's say your current weight is 75kg. So to calculate your BMI, you need to divide 75 by 2. 89. That's 25. 95. This is your BMI.
Let's compare this figure with the interpretation of the World Health Organization. Keep in mind that there may be other ways to interpret BMI on the net, but they are questionable. Focus on WHO assessment:
- 16 and less - a significant lack of mass;
- 16-18, 5 - insufficient body weight;
- 18. 5-25 - the norm;
- 25-30 - excess weight;
- 30-35 - the first degree of obesity;
- 35-40 - the second degree of obesity;
- 40 and above - severe obesity.
Hence, 25. 95 is the lower threshold for "overweight". That is, it is not necessary to lose so much compared to the norm - 5 kg. If you lose 10 kg, the weight will still be within the medical norm. Therefore, you can set yourself such a goal.
But what if your BMI is already in the 20-22 range? This means that you should almost certainly not lose weight. Of course, the body mass index does not take into account the characteristics of the complexion, you may not have enough muscle tissue or light bones. However, if after losing weight your BMI is below normal, it is best not to put your health at risk and not chase thinness. When you are not satisfied with your figure at the same time, it may not be the weight, but the need to strengthen the muscles.
If your BMI is 30 and above, you should definitely consult an endocrinologist before losing weight. Because with a high degree of probability, you need medical help to normalize your weight.
This is not to be forgotten
- Don't use automatic BMI calculators, calculate the index yourself. Some calculators deliberately inflate the results to force you to purchase goods and services featured on the same site.
- Remember that the BMI is an approximate value, the index does not take into account many parameters such as complexion characteristics, skeletal weight, even sex and age. Therefore, take BMI as a guide, but not as the ultimate truth.
- For a more accurate assessment of your condition, use a special device to determine the percentage of fatty tissue in the body. This indicator will give a better idea of how many kilograms you need to lose weight and if you need to lose weight. Because 75 kg of muscle is not at all equivalent to 75 kg of adipose tissue.
Reasons to get fat
To determine how to lose weight without dieting, you need to understand the causes of weight gain. It is one thing to eat a whole chocolate cake every night before going to bed. It's a completely different matter if you suffer from endocrine diseases, lead a sedentary lifestyle, and don't get enough sleep on a regular basis. So what are the reasons for weight gain?
- Unbalanced nutrition. The only way to get an objective picture of your diet is to write down what and when you eat. It sounds boring, but otherwise your opinion of your diet will not be objective. You may feel like you're not eating a lot, but you'll basically lose sight of the many snacks or high-calorie alcohol. Therefore, keep a food diary for a week or two, then re-read it and evaluate how healthy your diet can be considered.
- Eating disorder. A food diary can also help identify this problem, but eating disorder is a serious medical problem that you can't manage on your own. You will need the help of an endocrinologist and a psychotherapist who specializes in eating disorders. Possible symptoms of the disorder are feelings of guilt after eating, eating without being hungry, alternating strict diets with "breakups", discomfort when having to eat with others, and so on.
- Sedentary lifestyle. Maybe your diet is in perfect order, but you move too little. Evaluating your activity during the day will help special applications or a regular pedometer in your smartphone.
- Lack of regular sleep and chronic stress. Unfortunately, lack of sleep can cause many health problems, indirectly it can also be a stimulus for the development of diabetes. In addition, the body, exhausted from lack of sleep, uses food as an additional source of energy, so you eat more.
- endocrine disorders. Metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes mellitus, PCOS are not a complete list of ailments that can be accompanied by weight gain. Assess your physical and emotional state: are there any other symptoms that indicate health problems?
Find out the reason for determining how you can lose weight without dieting at home. Eliminate the very cause of excess weight first: see a doctor and ask for treatment if necessary. Try rearranging your sleep / wake schedule if you don't get enough sleep. It is not necessary to exercise hard to correct a sedentary lifestyle. Sometimes it is enough to walk regularly, to walk in the fresh air.
This is not to be forgotten
- If you have gained more than 5 kg in a month, even if your diet and lifestyle have not changed, it is a must to consult a therapist and endocrinologist. You are almost certainly dealing with a medical problem.
- If you are not complaining about your health, but still decide to discuss your weight loss problems with a specialist, he should be a certified doctor and not a fitness instructor, trainer or person who sells "weight loss marathons" online. . The human body is a very complex system, and sometimes even a medical education is not enough to give good advice on how to lose weight. Athletes, models, fitness enthusiasts cannot be considered "professionals" in these matters.
How to lose weight without a diet
Oddly enough, the first thing to do to lose weight is to hide the scales in the pantry. You don't need to weigh yourself every day, even if you can. Once a week is enough. Regular weighing creates neurosis, additional stress and this interferes with the normalization of weight.
To get back into shape without diets and strenuous exercise, you will need to change your lifestyle. Yes, it is not easy, but it is the existing lifestyle that has led to your body being overweight. Plus, not only will you lose weight, but you will generally feel better if you try to adopt a healthier lifestyle. What does this mean?
Even with a healthy lifestyle, it is necessary to consult a doctor in a timely manner. Regardless of whether your health problems affect the figure or not. Behind the daily worries, it can be difficult to find time and money to visit a doctor, but this is a critically important task. Your health and well-being should come first.
A healthy lifestyle is a good night's sleep. Getting enough sleep advice is easier than following this advice, especially if you work hard and have children in the family. However, an 8-hour night's sleep is half the health. Always try to make a choice in favor of sleep. Do you wake up two hours early for a run or do you sleep before work? Get enough sleep. Sleeping longer or taking a walk around the city at night? Get more sleep.
A healthy lifestyle is moderate physical activity. We are not talking about grueling exercises. However, the lack of movement damages the spine, nervous and endocrine systems. Take a walk every day, pick up simple exercises at home for morning or evening exercises. Find a form of physical activity that you enjoy and can become part of your routine. It can be long walks, jogging, yoga, dancing, active outdoor games - anything, as long as you like to move.
Finally, to lose weight without dieting, you will need to rethink your approach to nutrition. A balanced diet is not synonymous with a low calorie diet. On the contrary, it provides you with enough energy, but does not contribute to weight gain.
Principles of a balanced diet
- The basis of the diet are cereals, legumes, fruits and vegetables, and meat products should be less than a third of the portion. Add nuts, seeds, herbs to your diet.
- Minimize alcohol, sweets, rich, fatty, smoked and pan-fried foods. If you can't completely give up on these products, eat them in small portions and not every day. Let them be a pleasant exception, but not the rule in the diet.
- Gradually reduce the amount of sugar. Sugar is a great source of energy, but it creates a spike in blood glucose and dulls the enjoyment of other foods as well.
- Eat 5 times a day. Unexpected, right? To lose weight without homemade diets, you need to eat more often, not less often. Don't skip meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner, and at least two afternoon snacks in between. However, the portions shouldn't be too large.
- Try to eat the most high-calorie foods in the morning. If you want to treat yourself to a sandwich or a piece of chocolate, do it in the morning. Dinner should be light.
- Don't eat less than two hours before bed. Give your body a chance to absorb food before going to bed.
- Don't skip breakfast. This is the main meal, the lack of a full breakfast often leads to overeating during dinner and lunch or catching fast food and sweets on the go.
- Do not starve. Among people who want to lose weight, there is an opinion that the most effective way to lose weight is to organize a hunger strike for the body. It is harmful, ineffective and in the long term threatens with overeating and metabolic disorders.
Avoid alcoholic beverages - they are high in calories and cause a feeling of hunger. Replace frying in a pan with grilled or baked dishes. Let fried, fatty, smoked be a rare delicacy on the table. For snacks, you can take unsweetened yogurt, fruits, nuts, wholemeal bread rolls. But avoid all types of fast food if you want to lose weight without diet and exercise.
Common mistakes when trying to lose weight
The worst mistake you can make when trying to lose weight is trying to lose weight fast. A normal and healthy weight loss rate is 2-5 kg per month. If you lose mass faster, it is stressful for the body. In addition to being unhealthy, in the future it is fraught with the fact that the lost mass will return and it is possible that you will weigh even more. In addition, over time, diets and radical exercises stop working: even when you die of hunger, the body does not lose adipose tissue. In order not to find yourself in this situation, do not try to lose weight too quickly.
The second common mistake is the complete rejection of fats. Fats are an essential part of the diet. However, give preference to vegetable, not animal fats, and make sure their share on the menu is low.
The third mistake is a sharp reduction in calories. For example, a person calculates the optimal number of calories and drastically reduces portions. However, scientific studies have shown that it is impossible to reduce the diet by more than 20% of the normal number of calories. Therefore, even if you overeat, gradually reduce calories.